Progressive Auto InsurancePopular for its helpful online tools, Progressive auto insurance ranks as one of the biggest car insurers in the USA. It boasts of a customer base of more than 18 million drivers across the country and claims a share of 12.25% of the auto insurance market in terms of direct premiums written. Progressive has been in business for over 80 years and has grown tremendously. Due to its large size, it is able to offer a wider range of car insurance coverage options more than its competitors. It also boasts of a 24/7 professional customer service team and made headlines as the first auto insurance to enact services such as installment plans for paying insurance premiums and drive-in claims service. In this review, we take a look at all Progressive insurance has to offer including its discounts, claims policy, and add-on coverage options. Read on to find out about the coverage options available for you.
- About Progressive Car Insurance
- Progressive Insurance Selling Points
- Progressive Auto Insurance Coverage Plans
- Add-on Options
- Progressive Auto Insurance Discounts
- Progressive Car Insurance Costs
- Progressive Customer Service
- Progressive Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- How to Get a Progressive Auto Insurance Quote
About Progressive Car Insurance
Established in 1937 by Joseph Lewis and Jack Green, Progressive aimed at providing low-cost auto insurance policies with standard coverage. The company has since extended its services to include other types of insurance such as renters insurance, life insurance, and homeowner insurance, however, it is best known for its auto insurance policies.
Progressive provides auto insurance coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C, however, some of its special coverage plans may vary from state to state.
Progressive tops its competitors as the first auto insurance company to launch a full informational website that allows customers to purchase insurance policies online. It also has several other accolades as the first major auto insurance to offer premium payable in installments and drive-in claims.Back to top ↑
Progressive Insurance Selling Points
There are many ways Progressive auto insurance tops other auto insurance companies. Its long years of experience, excellent ability to meet its claims responsibility, and its extensive network allows it to offer a wide range of insurance services to drivers in all states. While it still ranks as the No. 3 auto insurer, this insurer has some good attractions.
- Adjustable limits and deductibles
- Large network of local agents & strong financial ratings
- Wide list of discount options – Including Safe Driver, Prepaid Policy & More
- Save over $750 on average on auto insurance
Progressive Auto Insurance Coverage Plans
Progressive auto insurance offers a wide range of auto insurance policies. Their plans include the standard auto insurance choices in addition to a couple of unique add-on coverage options. Below are the available auto insurance coverage options.
Standard Coverage Plans
- Comprehensive coverage – This policy covers your vehicle against damages that are not caused by other cars. It will protect your vehicle against animal collisions, fire, vandalism, storms, acts of nature, and theft.
- Collision coverage – This covers repairs or replacement of your damaged vehicle due to collision with other vehicles, trees, or objects. You will receive coverage regardless of who is at fault.
- Medical Payment – Medical payment will pay for your medical bills including that of your family members that result from a car accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist – If you’re involved in an accident with a motorist with little or no insurance, this plan will cover payments for repair or replacement of your vehicle and your bodily injuries.
- Roadside assistance – If your car breaks down, this add-on benefit will cover the cost of getting a towing service to move your car to a repair facility. It also extends to providing flat-tire changes, lock-out service (if you get locked out of your vehicle), and fuel/fluid delivery if you run out of gas and you’re too far from the gas station.
- Rental car reimbursement – If your car gets involved in a covered accident, this plan will cover the costs of renting a car while your car is being repaired.
- Custom parts and equipment value – This plan will pay for the repairs or replacement of items that are part of your car. This could include items like custom wheels, stereo, or your navigation system. It could also pay for a paint job depending on your coverage policy.
- Rideshare coverage – If you work for a ridesharing service, this policy will provide additional coverage and fill the gap when your personal auto policy is not active. Standard insurance coverage from ridesharing companies only cover the period of conveying the customers to their destination. This plan will extend your policy by providing coverage in between rides.
Progressive Auto Insurance Discounts
Progressive offers several auto insurance discounts, however, the options available to you will depend on your state.
- Safe Driver – You can claim a significant reduction in premium payment based on your driving history. A typical 3-year driving history void of tickets and accidents is needed to qualify.
- Continuous Insurance – if you have an uninterrupted insurance coverage plan with no cancellations or defaults on payment whether with Progressive or with another insurance company, you will be offered a discount.
- Multiple Policy – If you have two or more insurance policies with Progressive, you’ll save 5%, on average.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring two or more vehicles with Progressive auto insurance would significantly reduce your premium to up to 12% on both vehicles.
- Teen Driver Discount – This discount is applicable if you add your child to your policy and they’re below 18.
- Snapshot – This program monitors your driving habits and uses it to adjust your insurance rates. You will receive an automatic discount for signing up for the program and you may pay less when you renew your insurance policy. That is if you maintain a proper driving speed and drive less.
- Good Student – Students with good grades of a B average or higher could claim a good student discount when they sign up for Progressive auto insurance.
- Homeowner – You could qualify for the homeowner discount and save an average of 10% if you’re a homeowner.
- Online Quote – Save an average of 4% when you request a policy quote through the Progressive website.
- Sign Online – If you can complete your policy by signing your insurance documents online, Progressive will offer you a discount on your premium.
There are several other discounts available. You can receive a discount for making a down payment of a six-month policy, for setting up recurring payments from a checking account, for adding another insurance policy to your auto insurance plan, and for being a distant student.Back to top ↑
Progressive Car Insurance Costs
Auto insurance costs from Progressive are based on several factors that will increase or decrease your premium. Overall, the average full coverage premium is $1,910 annually.
The factors used in determining your premium include:
- Age – Younger drivers tend to drive more which puts them at a higher risk. Teens and other young drivers in their twenties will pay higher premiums than older drivers.
- Annual Mileage – If you cover a lot more distance with your vehicle, you should expect to pay a higher insurance rate than someone with short commutes.
- Location – Drivers in urban areas are at a higher of getting involved in an accident or having their cars damaged due to other covered perils. To that effect, Progressive charges higher premiums for individuals living in such areas than those living in the suburbs.
- Driving Record – A clean driving history will not only qualify you for lower rates but could also help you get discounts on your payments. Drivers with a history of collisions and tickets, however, will have to pay higher premiums.
- Credit Score – As with getting loans, your credit score affects the premium you would have to pay on your insurance. A good credit score is a big advantage. Drivers with poor credit scores will have to pay almost twice as much as drivers with good credit scores.
Progressive Customer Service
Progressive offers customers several ways to connect, make claims, and get solutions to queries. Its long line of insurance agents and professional customer service team can be reached by phone or via email. They are available 24/7 to take your call.
There is also an auto chat feature that provides you with answers to common questions from the FAQ section. You could also go directly to the FAQ section and search for answers by typing the query into the search bar.
Progressive is also active on social media and you can leave them a message on any of their social media accounts and expect a reply. You will find them on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and Lifelines.
There is also a mobile app available for Android and iOS device users. With the app, you can report a claim, request for roadside assistance, make payments, and check your policy details.
While Progressive spoils its customers with many customer service options, it doesn’t offer the best customer experience. It ranked #16 out of 22 in the 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study which is below the industry average. Most complaints were about delays in claims handling, denials of claims, and unsatisfactory settlements.
However, the auto insurer holds an A+ (Superior) rating from AM Best indicating it is financially capable of meeting its insurance obligations.Back to top ↑
Progressive Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- Excellent customer support services
- Flexible payment options
- Available in all 50 states nationwide
- Fast, easy, and reliable claims service available 24/7
- Below-average rating for customer satisfaction
How to Get a Progressive Auto Insurance Quote
Unlike other auto insurers that provide estimates, you will get firm quotes with Progressive auto insurance. You can get a quote by filling the online form, calling your local agent, or speaking to a customer service representative.
To get started, you will be asked to provide your details including your vehicle status, and employment status. Progressive insurance provides a Name Your Price Tool to help users get an estimate of how their coverage options would look like based on their car insurance budget.Back to top ↑
Other Insurance Provided by Progressive?
Apart from its auto insurance coverage, Progressive provides customers with a wide variety of insurance products
- Boat Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Mobile Home Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Classic Car Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- RV/Trailer Insurance
- Snowmobile Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
How to Make a Car Insurance Claim with Progressive?
You can make a claim using the Progressive mobile app, by calling customer care on 800-776-4737, or online at the company’s website. Once you file for a claim, you will be connected to a claim representative. You will be required to provide information on the accident and choose your reimbursement option.
What Is Progressive Car Insurance Cancellation Policy?
Progressive allows you to cancel your policy at any time without having to pay a cancellation fee, however, you must cancel over the phone by calling 800-776-4737.
How to Get a Progressive Car Insurance Quote?
You can get a Progressive auto insurance quote online (this comes with a discount), over the phone, or through your local agent. You will be required to share information on your vehicle, your employment status, and other necessary details to help build your quote. The information provided will be used to determine your premium and policy details.
How to contact Progressive Car Insurance? (website, phone number, Email)
Progressive offers several customer service options for users to reach out and get solutions to their queries. You can contact the service via phone, email, or through any of their social media handles. Progressive is available on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.Back to top ↑
Purchasing a policy from Progressive would save you a lot on your insurance premiums thanks to its fast and straightforward online signup process that won’t require you to speak with an agent. Progressive also offers an intuitive mobile app where users can make claims, check their policies, among several other benefits.
What’s more, you can qualify for several discounts by purchasing policies directly from the online site. Overall, Progressive is a good option for drivers looking for a professional insurance company to handle their insurance. While the insurer still struggles to get good ratings as to its customer satisfaction, it still tops other insurers due to its wide range of insurance products, discounts, and helpful online tools.Back to top ↑
Andrew has recently tried himself in a tech startup. Business lending is something he has a lot of knowledge to share about.