Progressive Auto InsuranceProgressive Auto Insurance is one of the top car insurance companies in the United States. They boast over 18 million customers, a 12.25% market share in the auto insurance industry, and for over 80 years, they have continued to grow and innovate. Thanks to its size and pedigree, Progressive offers more types of insurance than most of its competitors. They offer 24/7 customer service and continue to innovate by providing new services such as installment plans and drive-in claims service. Today we will dive into what Progressive offers and help you decide if their coverage is right for you.
- About Progressive Car Insurance
- Progressive Insurance Selling Points
- Progressive Auto Insurance Coverage Plans
- Add-on Options
- Progressive Auto Insurance Discounts
- Progressive Car Insurance Costs
- Progressive Customer Service
- Progressive Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- How to Get a Progressive Auto Insurance Quot
- Progressive Claims Process
About Progressive Car Insurance
Joseph Lewis and Jack Green founded Progressive in 1937. It aimed to provide low-cost insurance policies with standard coverage. Since its founding, Progressive has expanded to provide renters insurance, home insurance, and life insurance, but they are still best known for their auto insurance policies.
Progressive provides auto insurance coverage in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. however, some of its unique coverage plans may vary from state to state.
One of Progressive’s top accolades was that they were the first auto insurance company to launch an entire informational website that allows customers to purchase insurance policies online. On top of their robust internet capabilities, Progressive was also the first primary auto insurance to offer premium payable in installments and drive-in claims.Back to top ↑
Progressive Insurance Selling Points
Progressive offers a host of features and benefits that helps it stay at the top of the auto insurance market. Through an extensive network of discounts and agencies, Progressive offers additional benefits, including:
- Adjustable limits and deductibles
- Extensive network of local agents & strong financial ratings
- Progressive offers a comprehensive list of discount options – Including Safe Driver, Prepaid Policy & More
- Customer save over $750 on average on auto insurance premiums
Progressive Auto Insurance Coverage Plans
Progressive Auto Insurance offers a wide range of auto insurance policies. Their plans include standard auto insurance options and some unique add-on coverage options to ensure you get the insurance you need. Below we discuss some of the most popular coverage options:
Standard Coverage Plans
- Comprehensive coverage – This policy covers your vehicle against damages aside from auto collisions, including animal collisions, fire, vandalism, storms, acts of nature, and theft.
- Collision coverage – This covers repairs or replacement of your damaged vehicle due to collision with other cars, trees, or objects. Collision coverage applies regardless of fault.
- Medical Payment – Medical payment will pay for your medical bills in the event of an accident, including passengers and family members in the vehicle.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist – This coverage pays for damages caused by a motorist with little or no insurance. This plan will cover payments for the repair or replacement of your vehicle and reimburse for expenses caused by bodily injuries.
- Roadside assistance – If your car breaks down, this add-on benefit will cover the cost of towing your vehicle to a repair facility. It also extends to providing flat-tire changes, lock-out service, and fuel/fluid delivery if you run out of gas and you’re too far from the gas station.
- Rental car reimbursement – If your car gets involved in a covered accident, this plan will cover the costs of renting a car while your vehicle is being repaired.
- Custom parts and equipment value – Custom parts and equipment are often excluded from the standard coverage. This plan will pay to repair or replace custom items on your vehicle. This could include custom wheels, stereo, navigation systems, or even paint, depending on your policy.
- Rideshare coverage – If you work for a ridesharing service, this policy will provide additional coverage and fill the gap when your personal auto policy is not active. Standard insurance coverage from ridesharing companies only covers the period of conveying the customers to their destination. This plan will extend your policy by providing coverage in between rides.
Progressive Auto Insurance Discounts
Progressive offers several auto insurance discounts; however, the options available to you will depend on your state.
- Safe Driver – You can claim a significant reduction in premium payment based on your driving history. A typical 3-year driving history void of tickets and accidents is needed to qualify.
- Continuous insurance – If you have an uninterrupted insurance coverage plan with no cancellations or defaults on payment, whether with Progressive or with another insurance company, you will be offered a discount.
- Multiple Policy – If you have two or more insurance policies with Progressive, you’ll save 5%, on average.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring two or more vehicles with Progressive Auto Insurance would significantly reduce your premium to up to 12% on both cars.
- Teen Driver Discount – This discount is applicable if you add your child to your policy and they’re below 18.
- Snapshot – This program monitors your driving habits and uses it to adjust your insurance rates. You will receive an automatic discount for signing up for the program, and you may pay less when you renew your insurance policy. That is if you maintain a proper driving speed and drive less.
- Good Student – Students with good grades of a B average or higher could claim a good student discount when they sign up for Progressive auto insurance.
- Homeowner – You could qualify for the homeowner discount and save an average of 10% if you’re a homeowner.
- Online Quote – Save an average of 4% when you request a policy quote through the Progressive website.
- Sign Online – If you can complete your policy by signing your insurance documents online, Progressive will offer you a discount on your premium.
There are several other discounts available. You can receive a discount for making a down payment of a six-month policy, for setting up recurring payments from a checking account, for adding another insurance policy to your auto insurance plan, and for being a distant student.Back to top ↑
Progressive Car Insurance Costs
Auto insurance costs from Progressive are based on several factors that will increase or decrease your premium. On average, total coverage premiums from Progressive cost $1,910 annually.
The factors used in determining your premium include:
- Age – Younger drivers tend to drive more which puts them at a higher risk. Teens and other young drivers in their twenties will pay higher premiums than older drivers.
- Annual Mileage – High mileage increases the risk of getting into an accident. If you drive a lot, you should expect to pay a higher insurance rate than someone with short commutes.
- Location – Progressive charges higher premiums for individuals living in such areas than those living in the suburbs. Drivers in urban areas are at a higher risk of getting involved in an accident or having their cars damaged due to other covered perils.
- Driving Record – A clean driving history will not only qualify you for lower rates but could also help you get discounts on your payments. Drivers with a history of collisions and tickets, however, will have to pay higher premiums.
- Credit Score – Your credit score affects the premium you would have to pay on your insurance. Higher credit scores can reduce insurance premiums because they indicate less risk.
Progressive Customer Service
Progressive offers customers several ways to connect and make claims. You can reach an agent by phone or via email 24/7.
If you need an instant response, an auto chat feature provides answers to common questions from the Progressive FAQ section.
Progressive also offers a mobile app available for Android and iOS device users. With the app, you can report a claim, request roadside assistance, make payments, and check your policy details.
It’s important to note that while Progressive spoils its customers with many customer service options, it doesn’t offer the best customer experience. It ranked #16 out of 22 in the 2019 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study below the industry average. Most complaints were about delays in claims handling, denials of claims, and unsatisfactory settlements.
However, the auto insurer holds an A+ (Superior) rating from AM Best, indicating it is financially capable of meeting its insurance obligations.Back to top ↑
Progressive Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- Excellent customer support services
- Flexible payment options
- Available in all 50 states nationwide
- Fast, easy, and reliable claims service available 24/7
- Below-average rating for customer satisfaction
How to Get a Progressive Auto Insurance Quot
Progressive allows customers to apply for a quote online, in-person at an agency, or by phone. If you choose to fill out the online application, begin by providing your name, ZIP code, and some general details about your vehicle.
Once you start your application, Progressive will ask for additional details about your employment status and coverage needs. Progressive insurance provides a Name Your Price Tool to help users estimate how their coverage options would look based on their car insurance budget.Back to top ↑
Other Insurance Provided by Progressive?
Apart from its auto insurance coverage, Progressive provides customers with a wide variety of insurance products
- Boat Insurance
- Condo Insurance
- Homeowners Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flood Insurance
- Mobile Home Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance
- Classic Car Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Renter’s Insurance
- RV/Trailer Insurance
- Snowmobile Insurance
- Travel Insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
Progressive Claims Process
You can make a claim using the Progressive mobile app by calling customer care on 800-776-4737 or online at the company’s website. Once you file for a claim, you will be connected to a claim representative. You will be required to provide information on the accident and choose your reimbursement option if your claim is approved.
What Is Progressive Car Insurance Cancellation Policy?
Progressive allows you to cancel your policy at any time without a cancellation fee. You must cancel over the phone by calling 800-776-4737.Back to top ↑
Progressive Auto Insurance is an industry leader that can help you save a substantial amount of money on insurance premiums thanks to its straightforward online application process. Progressive’s mobile app enables customers to make claims, check their policies, and even save money on their premiums.
You can also qualify for several discounts by purchasing policies directly from the online site. Overall, Progressive is a good option for drivers looking for a professional insurance company to handle their insurance. While the insurer still struggles to get good customer satisfaction ratings, it still tops other insurers due to its wide range of insurance products, discounts, and helpful online tools.Back to top ↑